Saturday 18 July 2015

Apple and Blueberry Squares



I don't have many photos of the steps to this because I just got busy baking and totally forgot! Whoops! It's very simple though and if you have any questions you can let me know here or on Facebook and I can help you out. 


Recently I paid 99¢ for a 4kg bag of organic apples! Most of them were perfectly fine to use, just a little marked on the outside, like most organic fruit. I used most of them to make my own apple sauce. I left the sauce fairly chunky which is why in the recipe I state you can use apple sauce or stewed apples. I have tried both and the results are equally nice. Stewed apples do leave you with some little surprise apple pieces though. 




When I make it, I start by sifting my flours to remove any lumps. Coconut flour in particular is terrible for having big clumps. Then I add the wet ingredients and work quickly to combine it all. It's important to work quickly when using coconut flour as it like to suck up all the moisture. 

Then add the blueberries and mix gently just to incorporate them. Don't over mix or you will end up with a weird blue/grey cake! I spread it out evenly into a smallish loaf pan, about 20cm and sprinkle with cinnamon. I whack it in the oven for 45ish minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean. I cool it in the pan and then slice it into squares. A single batch makes 10 squares. It's important to let it completely cool before slicing. Then I immediately start making another batch because this one is already gone.

Ingredients

1 cup gluten free self raising flour
1/4 cup coconut flour
1 cup apple sauce or fresh stewed apples crushed with a fork
3 tablespoons maple syrup or honey
3 tablespoons milk or milk substitute
1/2 cup blueberries. (Fresh or frozen)
Cinnamon for sprinkling on top (optional)



Method

1. Preheat oven to 180C. Line a 20cm loaf tin with baking paper.
2. Sift flours into a large mixing bowl. Add wet ingredients and working quickly mix until combined.
3. Add blueberries and gently fold until just mixed through. Do not over mix.
4. Spread mixture evenly into loaf pan. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
5. Bake for 40-50 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean. Cool completely in the pan. 

6. Once cool, remove from tin, remove baking paper and cut into squares.

Notes

  • You can make a double batch and freeze squares individually wrapped and placed in an air tight container. Great for lunch boxes, just grab one out the night before to defrost.
  • You can cut them in half and serve with jam and cream. A little naughty but delicious. 
  • You can try other berries or even a mixture.
So what do you think? If you give it a go, make sure you let me know how you go.
Happy Cooking!
Jasmine

No comments:

Post a Comment